Darren Murph, Head of Remote at GitLab, joined us on The Modern People Leader.
We talked about what a Head of Remote does, investing in document infrastructure, building culture outside of company walls, and how to shift from a fear and scarcity mindset to a mindset of opportunity.
- What a Head of Remote does on a daily basis (6:20),
- change without story feels like a mandate, change with a purpose feels like vision (9:44),
- shifting from a fear and scarcity mindset to a mindset of opportunity (12:00),
- you can learn something from everyone (13:07),
- the two biggest challenges scaling culture fully remote (16:55), investing in document infrastructure (20:46),
- COVID has given every leader a permission slip to try new things (30:54),
- hybrid or shybrid? (32:59),
- providing examples for building new lifestyles around work (35:26),
- community impact outings are good alternatives to zoom happy hours (38:37),
- culture is the barometer for how well values are adhered to and reinforced (42:20),
- the future of work is going to be asynchronous (45:10),
- and have you looked at your purpose portfolio lately (51:50).
Here’s a link to GitLab’s handbook: